Friday, February 21, 2014

Assignment 5: Waterproof

Wood waterproof Sealing. After turning this, and then sending the largest twist bit in stock through the piece to create a hole, the next step was applying polyurethane to the inside to make a water tight seal. I created a tool from a stick and cotton swab from a shirt which fit into the hole. This would allow for the poly to be applied to the wood while it was turning, evenly distributing the coating. I left the lathe on during drying, and applied a second coat after 2 hours.

By the end, I had this. The edgest could have been a little cleaner, but the wood got sanded while on the lathe as well down to 400ish grit. Nice and smooth

After the wood, I worked with a piece of metal and forged it on the english wheel. It began by hammering a circular piece of metal which was cut out of a sheet by the bandsaw. The circular metal was hammered with a plastic mallet against a tool I made with a curved top. This wood tool was placed in the vice during early forging. It was smoothed out later by the wheel. 

The result

As for the plastic, I took a plastic sheet and folded it into a cone shape. I then applied heat from a heat gun onto the meeting edges after cutting it out. I squeezed the hot gooey edges together using a set of rubber gloves. The finish left a textured fused edge, and ended up looking like a holster. After a few fails, I eventually got a water tight seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment